17 Reasons to Have Sex Tonight
1. It's, you know, sex. And one of only a couple ways to have an orgasm, which is pretty great in and of itself. For most people, this is pretty high on the list of reasons to have sex.
In some cases, it's all about the journey, but the orgasm is a pretty great destination regardless of how you arrive there.
If I need to explain to you why an orgasm is great, then get off this website and go tell your parents to install parental controls on your computer.
2. It'll be the happiest you are all day. Sex releases endorphins, which are a great cure for a bad mood. Bad day at the office? Bang. Just feeling sort of down? Bang. You really can't be that upset after sex.
3. Your power is out. Your options are basically read by candlelight or have sex. Guess which one isn't going to be a strain on your eyes.
4. You're about to go on vacation and don't want to get sick. Studies show that sex can actually strengthen your immune system. So if you're worried about getting sick, just have sex. It might not be as efficient as a flu shot, but it's definitely the more fun way to have something stuck inside you of the two.
5. You haven't done it in a while. You don't want to get rusty. Make sure you still got it.
6. Your boss was so mean to you today. If it's stressing you out, have sex. Getting it on can actually lower your blood pressure and alleviate stress. Plus, getting naked yourself is way more fun than picturing all those weirdos at work naked anyway.
7. Your vibrator is batteries. This is the better alternative even if your vibrator isn't batteries.
8. You didn't go to the gym but you don't want to be completely lazy. Sex counts as exercise, so if you can't be motivated to drive there and spend an hour lifting weights, have sex instead. You won't even realize you're exercising.
9. There's a knot in your shoulder you can't work out. Sex can actually relieve aches and pains, so if you're feeling sore or you slept on your neck weird, have sex.
10. You just got the shower. You're already naked! You're pretty much halfway there (though you might want to jump in the shower again afterward).
11. You need to get to sleep and you hate the taste of Nyquil. Having trouble sleeping? Have some sex first. It might take a little longer than brewing some chamomile tea (well, hopefully it does), but studies show that sex right before bed can allow for deeper, more restful sleep.
12. You're horny. There is no better reason to have sex than just being super horny. Follow your heart, or I guess in this case, your genitals.
13. Your hair is so flat and dull right now. Sex can actually help your skin, nails, and hair, so think of it a free blowout without someone aggressively massaging your scalp (and also, you orgasm).
14. There's nothing on TV and now you have no idea what to do with your evening.
Is it finally that time of year when you don't feel you have to watch everything on TV before it gets ruined on ? Can you even remember the last time you didn't rush through sex so you could watch Scandal before that one friend could post about it? Take some time and remember what it feels to have sex when it's not primetime season.
15. It's a great way to get some bonding time in. Having sex generates oxytocin, a chemical that promotes that warm and fuzzy love feeling. So if you're annoyed at your partner for not unloading the dishwasher, sex will help you get over it fast.
16. Your heat is broken. Work up a sweat and then cuddle afterward. What do you think people did all the time before the invention of central air?
17. You really need a win. If things haven't been going your way lately, some good sex is a nice little checkmark in your “wins” column.
Follow Frank on .
9 Things You Should Always Do Before Having Sex
Maybe you recently started seeing a new partner and you’re trying to think of great ways to set the scene for excellent sex. Or maybe you’ve been with your partner for so long, you’re hoping for a refresher on how to create a more sensual mood in the bedroom. Either way, there’s a to-do list before you hit the sheets.
If you want to be really ready for intimacy, consider this a one-stop checklist. Below, experts’ tips on what to do before having sex.
While spontaneity is often praised, creating some sexual tension well before you hit the bedroom can make for a more exciting encounter. Hours of anticipation will pay off.
“Give your partner a lingering kiss in the morning, a flirtatious text during the day or a suggestive wink when they walk in the door,” said Sarah Hunter Murray, a sex researcher and relationship therapist. “Something that indicates sex could very well be on horizon but gives time you time for your imagination to wander and your body to get warmed up.”
Safe sex is obviously important, which for some may include protection.
For men, have condoms ready to go before you get busy so you’re well prepared, said Sunny Rodgers, a clinical sexologist and certified sex coach.
“And know the proper way to place a condom on a partner’s penis,” she said. “I always recommend purchasing large-size condoms since there is a minuscule difference between regular and large sizes.”
Rodgers called lube “another bedside essential” that should remain within arm’s reach. She recommended trying “beautiful bedside dispensers that warm lubricant and have hands-free dispensing so there’s no fumbling with bottles,” which could take you the moment.
Thoughtful touches to your environment help set the mood. Maybe it’s a favorite playlist, dimmer lighting, candles or scents, all of which can enhance the experience, Rodgers said.
For women especially, sex begins in the mind. “The brain is a more powerful sexual organ than genitalia, because it’s where sex drive stems from, so reading erotica or visually imagining sex play will do wonders to heighten senses in preparation for sex,” Rodgers said.
You can pepper imagination sessions throughout your day in the hours leading up to sex ― and don’t forget foreplay once you’re finally together.
You’re going to enjoy sex a whole lot less if you’re thinking about everything you need to get done. If your mind is constantly wandering toward thoughts , “We need more milk” and “I have to move my dentist appointment on Thursday,” then you need a strategy to stay in the moment.
“Those everyday things can get in the way of being able to focus on enjoying sex,” Murray said. “So if you feel things piling up in front of you, make a list of what needs to get done and then put that list off to the side so you can just focus on enjoying sex for a few minutes.” The list will still be there in an hour.
Feeling sexy and desirable to our partner is a key component that contributes to sexual enjoyment, said Murray.
“So before sex, do something that makes you feel a little sexier and confident,” she suggested. Maybe that’s having a shower, wearing some underwear you feel confident in or listening to a sensual song.
“Something that makes you feel more attractive will put you in a more sexual headspace.”
“We’re seeing more evidence that mindfulness can help increase our attention and focus on pleasurable sexual sensations, which of course leads to better, more satisfying sex,” Murray said.
Even if you don’t meditate, you can easily separate your sexual experience from your daily routine. “Before shifting from your busy life to a sexual environment, take a moment to inhale and exhale a few deep breaths,” she said. “This will help you relax and get in a more Zen headspace for sex.”
One major thing to keep in mind? Most women need about 20 minutes for their bodies to fully prepare for penetrative sex.
“This means that taking time to enjoy some foreplay can go a long way in providing both partners with an incredibly enjoyable sex experience,” Rodgers said.
“Undressing each other piece by piece — giving each other’s body kisses along the way — is a great way to get to know your partner’s body and sets a sensual tone.”
Don’t rush in the heat of the moment; slow it way down. Then you’ll be more than ready for the main event.